No Lettuce Salad
I have to confess, this salad, which is served just about every night at my house, was born out of sheer laziness. I hated dealing with the lettuce. It was so time consuming, all that rinsing and drying…okay, okay, I said I was lazy! My husband and I both liked all the things that salad had to offer, but let's face it; we always picked out the stuff we liked anyway.
This is a good opportunity to look in your cabinet/refrigerator and see what you have hanging around. There is always something else that looks good to just throw in. Check the can section.
For dressing, we use our Basic Vinaigrette, but this salad is a perfect way to house your favorite dressing.
It's good to keep all of your ingredients approximately the same size, it makes for easier eating. If you leave the tomatoes whole, the leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Pint Grape Tomatoes, rinsed
- 1 Large Cucumber - peeled and cut up
- 1 Can Black Olives (pitted) - rinsed
- 1 Can Hearts of Palm - cut in ˝ inch pieces (save for last)
Be creative, be decadent, and use any ingredient that you like. Chopped scallions also add a nice twist.
Want a really easy dinner? Make a meal out of it, throw in some leftover chicken, the steak he insisted on bringing home from the restaurant last night, cubed cheese, you get the idea.